Help For Domestic Violence
Crisis Line 419-241-7386
Are You Being Abused?
DOES YOUR PARTNER
- Keep track of your time, where you go, and who you’re with?
- Prevent you from seeing family and friends?
- Prevent you from getting a job?
- Harass you at work?
- Threaten you or your pets or belongings?
- Force you to have sex or do sexual acts you’re uncomfortable with?
- Put you down or call you names?
- Hit, shove, choke or kick you or throw objects at you?
IF IT’S HAPPENING TO YOU
- Get somewhere safe.
- Call the police.
- Get medical attention if needed.
- Call the YWCA Domestic Violence Shelter crisis line at 419-241-7386 for support, referrals or information on coming to the Shelter.
- Get legal advice or advocacy.
- File criminal charges at Municipal Court and request a Temporary Restraining Order, or
- File for a Civil Protection Order at Family Court.
- Get support from a counselor or support group.
- Call the Domestic Violence Shelter crisis line for more information about any of these steps.
IF IT’S HAPPENING TO SOMEONE YOU KNOW
- Listen, support, and don’t judge them. Even if you may not agree with the decisions your friend is making, they may be doing the best they can to stay alive.
- Tell them it’s not their fault, that no one deserves to be abused, and that they are not alone.
- Give them the number of the Shelter crisis line and let them know about support groups.
- Call the crisis line for more information about how you can help.
- Call the crisis line for a detailed definition of Domestic Violence.
TYPES OF ABUSE INCLUDE:
PHYSICAL – THROWING OBJECTS, HITTING, PUSHING, PULLING HAIR, HOLDING DOWN
SEXUAL – SEXUAL DEMANDS, FORCING SEXUAL ACTS AGAINST YOUR WILL, SEXUAL ASSAULT
VERBAL/EMOTIONAL – CRITICIZING, BLAMING, THREATENING, CONSTANT PHONE CALLS, HURTING PETS OR POSSESSIONS
FINANCIAL – MAKING ALL THE MONEY DECISIONS, WITHHOLDING MONEY OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION, FORCING PARTNER TO TURN OVER PAYCHECK
PSYCHOLOGICAL– FINDING FAULT WITH EVERYTHING YOU DO, DENYING EVENTS OR DETAILS SO THAT YOU DOUBT YOUR MEMORY OR JUDGEMENT